Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Paints a Smile on My Face

It is the joy of working with the kids in the community that paints a smile on my face. Unfortunately for me, it took a few weeks into this internship until I had the chance to have my first interactions with kids. As a few weeks went by, the anticipation of meeting the kids grew a little more into anxiety. I had no idea whether or not the kids in the community would like me or if I would be able to relate to them. It was not until this week when I finally had the chance to spend some time with kids in the community. I assisted in organizing a weeklong class, Discovering Bellflower, for kids to explore the city they live in. We went on field trips to the Farmer Market at Simms Park, the Pirate Park, the Clifton M. Brakensiek Library, the Bellflower City Hall and the Community Garden. Throughout the week my anxiety of whether or not I was going to be able to interact with all of the kids quickly faded. I soon had the realization that this was never about them liking me or accepting me. Without even realizing it these kids opened my heart in allowing them to inspire me and teach me to grow alongside with them. Overall, I had a blast working with all of these kids this week. I am excited to see how the rest of the summer plays out!

Written by: Cori Aguayo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm excited to see what Kingdom Causes does for the City of Bellflower. Spending time with kids in the community is priceless!!!