Thursday, July 26, 2012

Discovering the Treasure in Bellflower


One of the summer classes that I was most excited about starting this year was called “Discovering Bellflower” This class took some of our neighborhood kids on a journey of exploring their city and showed them how wonderful their town can be! As the week began I didn’t know what to expect, and I was nervous because I didn’t know who was going to show up, but those nerves quickly died out and turned to excitement as soon as I saw kids walk through our community center doors. As the week went on, I saw how much our neighborhood kids learned about their city. They went to the Bellflower Farmer’s market, took a tour of city hall, and learned how the city functions. One employee event let them witness a “light show” in the civic auditorium. Overall, the kids had a great time discovering the treasure of our city. Our hope is that as they grow up, they will embrace Bellflower as their own and work to make it an even better place to live!

Written by: Manny Lopez

No comments: