Thursday, July 12, 2012

Finding Hope in Unexpected Places


I can’t believe it’s already been a month since I started my internship! It has been an amazing month! The best part of it, so far, has been the people that I have been able to meet. On my first day of desk hours I was able to meet Marissa*. Marissa is a homeless neighbor who spends a lot of time at the KCB offices, and I had heard a lot about her, so when she came in I was excited to be able to talk to her. She sat and talked with me as she waited for Ethan to come and meet her.
The first thing she told me was that she didn’t like me and asked me why it wasn’t Kendall at the desk! After that, we ended up talking for about 20 minutes and she told me a little bit about herself and the struggles she had gone through the night before. Her strength was evident as she talked. She began to say how tired she was, then stopped herself and said "but you know I’m a survivor.” Hearing those words come out of her mouth after all of the tragic things that she had just told me inspired me to hang on.
So many times in my own life I get so caught up in what I’m going through, that I can forget that other people go through things too. If Marissa can survive and keep on, then I can too. Also, as she was leaving, she informed me how much she liked me.
I also got to meet one of the organizers of national night out, an event that I am helping to plan. Her name is Sharon and I was able to hear about her vision for national night out and also why she does what she does. It was inspiring to hear her passion and to see her face light up as she showed me pictures of previous events. Meeting Marissa and Cheryl* really inspired me and made me realize that everyone has a purpose. Sometimes the people that you think you are helping are really meant to help you. I love finding hope in the most unexpected places.
*Name changed

Written by: Jennifer Willis



No comments: