Sunday, June 10, 2012

Community Fellow: Kris


Meet another one of our 2012-2013 Community Fellows... Kris Cohen!


My name is Kris Cohen. I am 22 years old and a recent grad from Biola University with a B.A. in Philosophy. I spent the first 9 years of my life in Bellflower, CA. I then moved all the way to La Palma, CA, right in between the cities of Cypress and Cerritos (it was quite the journey!). I grew up in a home where following Jesus was modeled every day. My parents are committed followers of Jesus and have shown me since I was young how to live a Godly life. I currently fellowship at Bellflower Brethren Church and have been an attendee since I was in the womb. Since my early youth, I have been actively involved in my church: playing drums, being on leadership teams, etc. I also love to be very active. My favorite sport, currently, is the invigorating game of Ultimate Frisbee. Sounds intense, right? Although throwing a frisbee is typically a very laid-back activity, ultimate frisbee can be an extremely competitive sport.

I applied for the Community Fellows Program because God has been tugging at my heart and showing me the importance of "loving your neighbor as yourself." Well, who is my neighbor? I think my neighbor, at least, are those people I come into contact with every day. This program is focusing in on this sort of practice: to love your neighbor by having a missional mindset in your everyday activities. I am very excited to be able to be a part of what God is doing in Bellflower, specifically in the Eucalyptus neighborhood, where I will be residing. My prayer is that I can grow and learn through this experience to be able to live in such a way that is representative of the Kingdom life, in Jesus, which we were meant to live and to invite other people around me to join in. 

No comments: