Monday, August 20, 2007

Thoughts on being a neighbor

We are such a busy people! One has to be extremely intentional to not be busy. Most of us are pretty lousy at it... including myself. I mean, really, what is my excuse? My job involves being a good neighbor to my neighbors through community development, yet I am still too busy doing that to actually be at home. We have to be present to build a relationship. Can you imagine if all Christians were intentional with how they related to their neighbors? It would be beautiful!

With this on my mind for the last couple of weeks, I've made more of an effort to be around. Even with these efforts, I've only made time for an extra hour to be available for whatever sporatic conversation or "hello" I get from people walking by. The amazing thing is, God uses the time. You can't predict it. Sometimes I'll be around and not have a meaningful conversation with anyone... and sometimes I will. As I was pulling into the driveway late Saturday night, a neighbor that I've talked to a few times before was walking by. We ended up talking for a half an hour about life, God, work, and everything else. She's an amazing single mother with a bunch of talents that are not being used. She moved to this neighborhood a few months ago and is looking for friendships. We're going to lunch today to hang out.

I wonder how many relationships we miss out on because we're too busy. Even when we're home we stay inside and watch TV. I challenge you to go outside. You never know what God has in store.

No comments: