Thursday, July 14, 2016

Meet our 2016 Summer Interns!

Each year, through a generous donations from one of our long-time KCB stakeholders, we are able to provide a summer internship program focused on providing training and experience in Christian Community Development.  These are the lovely faces we get to work with this summer!



Meet Keaulani:

Happy summer everyone! My name is Keaulani Quiatchon, and I am one of the summer interns at Kingdom Causes Bellflower for Neighborhood Engagement. I was born and grew up on a little island called Saipan. But for the past eleven years, I've been lucky enough to call the City of Belflower my home. I just finished up my first year of college at San Diego State University, majoring in Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences and minoring in Child Development to hopefully become a speech therapist for children. A church I briefly attended in Norwalk had fellowship between the hearing and the deaf, which really strengthened my interest to pursue that in college. Working the in the community has always been one of my values, since doing community service through different organizations like Key Club and tutoring elementary and middle school students through Olive Crest. So working with the youth in the neighborhood is something I'm looking forward to. Being away for college, I didn't hear about this internship until my mom sent me the information for it a few weeks before my last final of the semester. I'm very excited to see where this opportunity takes me while working with the staff and other interns and seeing God's plan for me and the city!

Meet Andrew:

Hello! My name is Andrew Burger. I am twenty years old and am lucky enough to be a summer intern here at Kingdom Causes Bellflower. I am studying Applied Math and Economics in my third year at California State University, Long Beach.

My interest in KCB stemmed from two passions of mine, economics and service. I find the work that Good Soil Industries fascinating as it combines my interest of employment economics and service in order to benefit the community.  For the summer, I will be working with Jason on marketing and business analysis for Good Soil Industries. I am excited and grateful to have an opportunity to serve while developing and understanding for how Non-Profits run.
 
  
  
Meet Grenisha:
 
My name’s Grenisha Parker and this summer I have the honor of working as the Homeless Outreach Intern at Kingdom Causes Bellflower. Not only am I excited to be joining a team who is striving to love their neighbor as themselves. But I am also so humbled to simply serve my brothers and sisters in my community as a believer and daughter of Jesus Christ. This summer will be a beautiful journey because I’m learning how to love my neighbors well and learning how to trust Jesus in all that he does. One thing that I look forward to during this internship is letting go of all my expectations and believing that God’s ways are higher than my own and He is capable of providing all of their needs. There is much joy in knowing that I get to help people in need but I also get to build friendships with them.
“Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it.” Hebrews 13:2

Meet Thomas:

Hi! I’m Hi  Thomas Nishimoto and will be interning this summer at Kingdom Causes Bellflower. I am so excited to be able to join the KCB team and bless Bellflower this summer! 
A little bit about my personal life: I am a junior at Grace College in Winona Lake Indiana, but I was born and raised right here in the Bellflower area. My hobbies when I’m not pretending to study are fishing, hiking, sports (especially Volleyball and Basketball!), and playing Super Smash Bros (a video game) competitively. 
 I have been connected with KCB for years and have seen their amazing work in the community.  My sister-in-law had worked with KCB and so both my family and church has been able to bless this community through Kingdom Causes.  I know this organization makes real, tactile change in the community and they have been able to bless this entire community through their works. Knowing how amazing this place is makes me so eager to start working for them. You can catch me this summer running science, art and sports camps at Bethany Reformed Church , or working at the KCB.  I’m looking forward to becoming more connected to my neighbors here in Bellflower. This summer will be new and interesting, but I’m thrilled to be doing it with Kingdom Causes
SaveSave

No comments: