Thursday, November 10, 2011

Myths of the Social Enterprise

One of the biggest investors in the social enterprise movement spreading across the non-profit world is a group called REDF. As experts in the field, they put together a list of the top 5 myths encountered for social enterprises. If you have 5 minutes, here are lessons anyone considering social entrepreneurship should read.

5 Myths of Social Enterprises
http://www.fastcompany.com/social/myths.html

You probably noticed one main theme: the mission, not the money, is the driver of a social enterprise.

I received a note from one of our participants yesterday, “Hey Joel I just wanted to let you know I appreciate the chance that you have given me, and I won’t let you down”. This is from a man who has shown up early every day, done everything I asked, and done it with a smile. I couldn't have been more proud of the work he has been doing. But these are the opportunities the marketplace too often misses because he hasn't passed the standard background check.

So as you consider if social entrepreneurship is right for you, realize that the road may be more difficult than advertised, but the payout comes with a much deeper and satisfying reward.

1 comment:

Chrissy Padilla said...

True that! Totally worth any extra work it might entail. So stoked for Good Soil :)